Planning reforms help keep national construction afloat

New reforms to planning systems considered at the National Planning Ministers’ Forum will come into effect in order to ensure construction activity continues, both at state and local levels.

State and local planning systems and the development approvals pipeline must continue to function during the Covid-19 crisis, federal minister Alan Tudge said in a release last week.

GALLERY  

The agreement sets out a series of principles, including consistency between jurisdictions and the instruction that “all reasonable effort” must be made to maintain the usual pace of planning approvals.

“Amendments to our planning systems will ensure that governments and the development community can support the economic recovery effort,” Tudge said.

Australian Bureau of Statistics figures released on Monday 20 April show that up to 750,000 jobs may have been lost between mid-March and early April—with jobs recorded by the ABS declining 6 percent.

Infrastructure has been yielded as a protective measure for the economy, with South Australia the first state to bring forward $350 million in key infrastructure projects to help offset job and economic losses.

New South Wales has already taken initial steps to add flexibility to the planning system in response to Covid-19, fast-tracking development applications and rezonings. The state government has also waived $50 million worth of construction operation fees over the next 12 months.

Further announcements set to be made to the state’s planning system acceleration program are expected in coming weeks.

Developer lobby group the Urban Taskforce used Monday’s announcement to push for further relaxations.

“The status quo will not slingshot the economy out of recession, it will exacerbate it,” Urban Taskforce chief executive Tom Forrest said.

“There are billions of dollars’ worth of private sector investment capital that have been stuck in the planning system and therefore not flowed into the NSW economy.”

As the country enters its first recession in 30 years, Australian governments have announced a collective $339.5 billion in stimulus—equivalent to about 17 percent of the economy.

Via Urbandeveloper






Get our enews

Design and development news that comes to you

Subscribe
                 


Waterstruck Clinker Bricks: Traditional Craft, Made to Order

Most bricks made today are extruded — pushed through a die in a continuous ribbon and cut to ...

Ring Oven Clinker Bricks: A Craft Modern Brickmaking Cannot Replicate

In an era of highly automated manufacturing, some of the world's most distinctive bricks are still made much ...

Brick Slips: The Real Brick Look, Without the Weight

When people hear "brick slips," they often picture a cheap imitation — a thin veneer that looks fine ...

Jun Matcha Club brings ritual and craft to café design

A former residential garage in has been transformed into a contemplative matcha café, with Jun Matcha Club offering ...

DOMA selected for $1.6B Newcastle Quay precinct

DOMA Group has been selected to deliver Newcastle Quay, a $1.6 billion mixed-use waterfront precinct that will mark ...

  MORE  

Stay connected to the SPEC

Join our reader network by signing up to our weekly newsletter and receive design and development news straight to your inbox





Specifier Source is brought to you by the same company that publishes Home Design, Grand Designs Australia Magazine, Kitchens & Bathrooms Quarterly Magazine, Outdoor Design Source, Build Home, CompleteHome and many more.

© 2022 Universal Media Co. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Universal Media Co.